We are interested in the experience of black academics in academic spaces.
Some topics may include, but are not limited to, (and are informed by my own experience):
- reasons for attending (for the ancestors)
- moving as a black person in non-black spaces
- tokenism and othering
- finding community
- textbook "forgot" something Black
- microaggressions/ microaggressions (I literally had a teacher call each name on the roster and say, "Hello," to everyone else and to me, "Nakeysha. Yo!"... Yep. No
- I am the Instructor...
- Mentoring other people of color through the post secondary experience
- discovering new black artists/ writers/ info in class
All submissions must be original and unpublished works
Essay Length 500-3000 Word limit
Photography/Art: include medium and description
Other works? Feel free to be creative and submit.