A group of residents gathered to talk about social issues affecting their lives and their communities. This was part of an experimental social conversations project and pop-up survey called Soapbox, organized by Still Waters Collective. From these discussions, Genre: Urban Arts is partnering with Still Waters Collective to invite all writers to submit flash fiction for an upcoming anthology.
Starting from October 1, 2018, we will share one anonymous response/comment on a social issue daily, and writers are invited to submit flash fiction pieces based on the social issue addressed in the comment. The comments we will use to inspire flash fiction stories will cover issues such as Intersectionality, Incarceration, Generations/Generational Gap, Privilege, Mental Health, and Gender.
- Read each comment and submit your flash fiction story based on the social issue addressed in the comment. You can choose from a list of 20 different comments and six social issues posted daily. So, remember to check Genre: Urban Arts every day to see our social issue comment post for the day.
- Your flash fiction story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
- It should include conflict or an incident which creates some conflict for your character(s).
- The ending of your story should show readers that the incident or conflict, which happened to your character(s), affected or changed your character(s) world or world view.
- We are accepting original unpublished work for this flash fiction anthology.
- Word count is 1000 or less.
- All flash fiction submissions should be in Microsoft Word doc. or docx formats.
- Submission Deadline: November 20, 2018.
- Submit your story to us on Submittable.